Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Little India

Wow!  It's  been forever since I have blogged.

Unfortunately, for those not in Missouri reading this, the good ole Show-Me state has been battling some major icky sickness.  I think I was sick in November, then got it again in January and couldn't kick the dang flu/cold/bug/whatever it was until late February.  Jake and I both feel a million times better.  I also learned that when you don't go to the doctor for two years, they won't call a prescription in for you and force you to go visit them only to prescribe the same thing I requested over the phone....sigh.

Anyway, back to food!

So in February when Jake and I were feeling poopy I thought I would give some Indian food a try.  I know right--that's a pretty big leap for me considering that I couldn't eat Brussels Sprouts without a major yuck face.  But, technically, I've had Indian food before.

Roughly 2 years ago, I won a contest by changing the words to Baby Got Back to align with the SkyTeam Alliance (travel jargon) and the Thistle-Gouman Hotel group.  After doing my little rap with my friend Jenny, we found out we rocked the hizzouse and I got picked to go to London.  I think every single friend and family member was concerned that I might actually starve to death during my time abroad.  I obviously wasn't one to try things, so they were frightened that I would be wondering around the streets of London late at night looking for a McDonald's and get slashed by Jack the Ripper IV.  Luckily for me, I put my mind to it that I was NOT going to be a rude guest and would accept whatever offerings I was given.  It all went pretty well up until the last night when I was told I was in for a real treat--real Indian food.  I did a big gulp, but replied back--Great!  Can't wait!  Of course in my head I was like "Holy shit--what am I going to do?  I can't eat Indian food!!!".

But I did.

And I enjoyed it.

I got to try lamb for the first time and a bunch of other things that I honestly don't know what they were to this day.  Either way--it was good.  The only thing I didn't try was this nasty, greenish blob of crap they said was the best thing since chocolate cake.  I highly doubt it was because if that statement were true, there would be greenish blob cakes--and well, we all know there aren't.

So that brings me to a week or so ago--I asked Jake to try some Indian food :o)


I think it's called Tikka Masala, but not 100% sure.  Whatever it is, it's yummy!  Just the right amount of spice to give your tongue a zing.  I pared this with rice and flatbread and it's almost like an Indian Taco the way I eat it.  Unfortunately, we didn't make enough rice so at times the sauce tasted a little tomatoey, but I think with more rice and more chicken, it'd be perfect.  It's just hard to cook for two people.

So score one for Indian food!  It was easy to make, tasted great and best of all, it's on my eating plan.  I'm excited to try the next new thing.  I'm open to suggestions by the way :o)

1 comment:

  1. Butter chicken. My fav Indian dish. I can't handle a lot of spicy, so this one is very mild, but verrrry delicious. Not too much different from chicken tikka masala, if you ask me, which I also love.

    ReplyDelete