Thursday, April 5, 2012

Peanut Butter Jelly Time

So most of you know that Jake and I have embarked on a new way of eating this year.  I am down 25 lbs and Jake is down around 33 lbs (probably more since men seem to blink and lose weight!).

We've been counting our carb servings almost like a diabetic would although we aren't quite as stringent because we are not diabetic.  We've been watching our serving sizes and even when we have to go off plan, we really try to not over eat as we would have in the past.  It's funny to look back and realize just how insane our portions were before.  Did you know that one of those Ben & Jerry's pints had like over 1000 calories!  Shit!!  No wonder I got fat.  Yes, I got fat--real fat and don't sit there and go "Oh she wasn't that big."  I saw the pictures - I was big, bigger, biggest I'd ever been at the end of 2011.  In just three months I weigh what I did in 2009 and I'm smaller than I was when I got married.  Proof is in the pictures - the double chin is like 1.5 chins now.  Woot!

Anyway, so for the last 90 days or so, I've cruised through breakfast thanks to a dietitian's suggestion to eat Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.

Yes - I eat bread - 2 slices nonetheless in the morning!  And I eat Jelly with sugar in it.  And I eat Peanut Butter that !GASP! has fat in it.  And you know what--it works.  It keeps me full for nearly 5 hours.  I usually eat it around 730am and around 11 to 1130am I begin to get hungry.  If I were to eat a bowl of all grain, whole wheat, bran, wheat germ cereal, I'd be hungry in about 2 hours after eating it.  It just doesn't hold me over and really stick with me.  I have so much energy in the morning thanks to the wonderful protein in the Peanut Butter and the sugar in the Jelly gives me an instant boost to start my work day.  The whole grain bread continues to keep me full for hours.  It's a miracle meal.

I used to start my morning with either a McDonald's Sausage Egg and Biscuit or donut or a SlimFast Shake.  The biscuit would hold me over for quite awhile, but it also made me want to go to sleep and hibernate for about a week.  The donut made me want more sugar.  The SlimFast was actually pretty good, but again, never held me over.  I didn't believe that a PB&J sandwich would even be tasty early in the morning, let alone help me lose weight, but by golly it has!  I have started to eat eggs and a piece of toast in the morning on the weekends, just to give myself a bit of variety, but honestly, the sandwich really hits the spot.

I know, this is a lame blog about a sandwich that everyone probably eats, but eating it for breakfast is just so fascinating to me.  If you struggle with weight and being hungry in the morning, I urge you to try it for a week and see if you notice any difference.  Of course you still have to follow the serving size on the jars, so no cheating by putting globs of Jelly or Peanut Butter on the bread.

Oh and by the way, I sorta lost steam with trying new things, although I still am.  It's just hard to write about making yuck faces all the time.  So, I am going to continue writing about my food oddities, keep trying new things and making note of it, but I am also going to use this as a catalyst to keep me motivated in my weight loss journey.  I'm excited and determined.  Maybe I will even post some before - after pictures  or some photo's of my boxing class.  Although, I look like a sweaty mess after working out--it might deeply traumatize you to post those pictures.  We'll see and thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. For variety: Sometimes I'll do a peanut butter and Nutella on whole wheat (and try to tell me THAT'S not yummy!) Or I'll add something like shredded coconut to any of the other combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone tells me that Nutella is freaking awesome - I gotta try it!!

    ReplyDelete