Friday, February 17, 2012

Something fishy is going on here...

FINALLY!  I'm not sick any more!! I feel like I have been sick for a month--oh that's right--I have been!!

I'm finally feeling almost like my rock-star self, so I figured I better get back on my journey and try something new.  As a reminder, a few weeks ago you, the readers, voted for me to try Brussels Sprouts and Tilapia.  So Brussels Sprouts was a big, fat failure, so I finally got around to eating some Tilapia.

First of all, anyone that says that Tilapia isn't fishy is a little looney.  Fish is a fish and it's fishy.  The end.

But wait!  It's not necessarily a bad thing.

So here's how it went...

Two weeks ago, I actually bought fresh Tilapia at the fish counter.  My friends said just put it in the oven or saute pan and cook with lemon, butter, salt, and pepper.  However, I didn't eat the fish right away and one morning I woke to a smell that wasn't too pleasant (okay, so my house smelled like a bad vagina).  The smell kind of made me not want to try Tilapia and just pretend like I never was going to try it, but....I'm an honest gal and pretty determined to discover new foods that I like.

Last weekend when I was grocery shopping I passed by the fresh fish counter and went to the frozen food section and chose what I was hoping would be a tasty, frozen alternative to fresh fish.  It had spices and the dude on the box seemed friendly--like "Hey, I caught you a nice little fishy just for you!"  So, I figured, what the heck, let's go for it.  The box went in my cart, I checked out, went home and kind of forgot about it.  Then, Wednesday night came and my husband asked me the dreaded question, "What are we having for dinner tomorrow?"  My stomach did a little flip, but I pressed on and answered, "Tilapia" in my most pathetic voice.

Thursday night came and my husband kept me on plan by making the Tilapia.

But right away I knew something was wrong...

The fish was.....

Well--it was square.  Not like kinda square, but like bonafide square.  Hmmm....


Yeah, the box is deceiving!  It looks like a quasi-real fish fillet!  ARGH!  

But we still cooked it and ate it.

What were the results?

Not bad!  Was it the most delicious thing ever?  Not really, but it was decent.  The texture was actually very good--light, tender and moist.  My first bite was surprisingly pleasant--but the after-taste was somewhat off putting.  I ate the whole fillet and I am thoroughly convinced that I liked the fish, but not the coating of spices.  The spice wasn't fresh--that's about the best way to describe it.  Fresh herbs would have probably been a huge improvement.  

I will eat Tilapia again that's for sure--and in all honesty, it made fish seem not so scary.  I will happily try another fish in the future.  However, next time I think I'll pass up the square fish in the rectangular box.  





No comments:

Post a Comment