Tuesday, February 7, 2012

This and That

It's been a while since I've posted, so I wanted to share a few things about my food journey thus far.

I still need my old standbys.  One of the most important things for me is to keep foods near me that I really like and enjoy while I try to add new foods that may not be as tasty as say Chocolate Cake or Fried Chicken.  Every day at lunch I try to bring a comfort food that I really enjoy.  Lately it's been chili--there's something about the starchy beans that I put in it, with the heat and the crunchy oyster crackers.  It's like a treat, but at the same time it's like Fiber-Dome 2000!!!!  Waiting to try new fruits and veggies at home let's me be myself while I pick at things and debate whether or not I actually want to fork it into my mouth.

Another thing I have learned is that foods that don't smell that appealing can really grow on you.  If I would have told my family members that I would request salad before or after a meal as a "treat" Well......let's just say they would have laughed at my face and probably bet against me.  Even my husband told me today that he was so proud I am eating a full bowl of salad!  Woot!  Granted I haven't ventured very far into Salad-ville, but I am at least on my way.  Not too long ago I was convinced that iceberg lettuce was pretty up there on the nasty scale--probably nearing oatmeal.  But now I enjoy the crunchiness and have really found a great dressing that wakes up my taste buds.

Oh!  And I totally forgot to mention that I tried a teeny, tiny bit of Guacamole at a Mexican restaurant this weekend.  It had red onions mixed in with it (they might actually surpass oatmeal in my list of "omg get that out of my mouth before I scream! foods) so I didn't like it.  It was smooth and creamy and other than the punch of red onion, I didn't get much out of it.  Do you like Guacamole?  Jake said it had to grow on him--do you think he's right?

Here's to Thursday--Tilapia night!  Everyone says that I will like this fish since it's not hard to screw up cooking and it's got a light taste.  I'm looking forward to it, but Jake has problems with the textures of fish.  We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment