Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sprouting Up!

Well, tonight was THE night I planned to try the dreaded brussels sprouts.  Actually, I wasn't really dreading them, but as the week went a long, it seemed they were every where I went!!  I couldn't get away from them!
AH!  Invading my plate!
I kept thinking of all the Thanksgiving cooking shows I watched this past year and nearly every single one of them made some delicious version of the sprouts.  I was getting kind of excited that this cabbage cousin might be my new best friend.  So, here's how tonight went...

I chopped up my sprouts into quarters and coated lightly in some olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper.
I cooked some broccoli and cauliflower as Plan B.
I stuck them in the oven for roughly 15 minutes, stirring every so often.  The smell wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either.  They look pretty appetizing!

Oooh, golden goodness.....hopefully!

After all the pieces looked well roasted and had some color on them, I decided it was time for the big bite!  My husband, Jake, actually went first.  I told him to not give me a "Yea" or "Nay" because I wanted to develop my own opinion, but he did tell me it was texturally different than other vegetables he was used to eating.  I was a little leery, but I knew from my experience with cauliflower that a mushy, roasted vegetable didn't bother me so I was hoping it would be similar.

Well, here goes!!
My first bite of Brussels Sprouts

Yeah, so I didn't like them.  And believe it or not, I continued to eat them because I thought for sure my opinion would change.  But....a definitely NO to Brussels Sprouts!  ICK!  It wasn't really the texture that bothered me, although it was different than what I expected, it was the taste.  At first it seemed bland, but as I chewed it became bitter and had an odd after taste.  The layers between the leaves (I guess that is what you would call them) was a little off-putting texturally, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever had---that's right Oatmeal, you are still the worst texture ever!!!  It just was not delicious whatsoever.  I just so thought they would taste buttery or like a golden nugget in my mouth, but it was more like sticking some bad, limp lettuce in my mouth.  Not something I want to really eat again, but hey--at least I tried!

Next week---Tilapia!!!  I am like 99% sure I will like it because everyone tells me it's a very mild, not-so-fishy fish.  But then again, I convinced myself I would like the sprouts and that didn't go very well at all.   :o(






No comments:

Post a Comment