Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Roasted!!

If someone would have told me that I would be eating roasted broccoli and cauliflower once or twice a week, I would have laughed all the way to my chicken nuggets and fries at McDonald's.  Speaking of which, I haven't had McDonald's in over three weeks!

I'm lazy and bought pre-cut florets at Shop N Save.
Luckily, about two weeks ago, I took a chance on the popular vegetables everyone seemed to rave about.  I got my cookie sheet out, olive oil, salt, pepper, and the poor mans spice, Mrs. Dash and mixed up my veggies.

Tossing my veggies!! (in my PJ's)
Roughly, 15 minutes later, out popped my nicely charred broccoli and cauliflower.  I really like the look of the darkened broccoli florets and the browned cauliflower pieces--it actually looks appealing, which was a real surprise to me.  The smell--eh...kinda not so yummy, but it's not too bad.

Panko Chicken, Home-Fries, and Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower
The broccoli is slightly crunchy with just a hint of charred taste.  The cauliflower is actually creamy and  is actually a great compliment for the charred broccoli.  So far, my favorite thing to eat it with is chicken.  Something about the juicy chicken and the veggies really make me feel healthy, but it's filling and delicious.  I still can't believe I like it!!  I'd like to try to steam them, but I'm a little afraid they will get mushy or have no taste.  For right now, I am content with roasting them, but it's a goal of mine to try to steam more veggies.  I have a freaking steamer and have used it once to steam sweet potatoes for a pie......that I had one bite of.....cause I put nuts on it and I don't care for nuts (or so I've told myself).  

On a side note, I'm really shocked that I'm looking forward to trying new things.  I'm still a little leery, but since I've had success so far with a few things, it gives me confidence that I will continue to enjoy new foods.  Although, I know without a doubt one day I will make something and I am going to hate it.  Fun fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment